- Carry On Australian Daybill Movie Posters
- The Wayward Bus Australian Daybill Original or Reissue
- Camille Daybill – Original or Reissue Movie Poster
- Aub Moseley one of our great Australian Movie Poster Artists
- BUTCH CASSIDY Daybill Movie Poster Original or Reissue
- Australia Day Movie Poster Auction
- LINEN BACKING MOVIE POSTERS – Wallpaper Paste or Wheat Paste?
- Linen Backed Movie Posters – a word of Warning
- High Society Daybill Movie Poster – Original or Reissue?
- Kevin Brianton Collector Profile Richardson Studio Movie Posters
- Alfred Hitchcock Australian Movie Posters
- Queensland Gallery of Modern Art Movie Poster Presentation report
- Endless Summer Sundays Queensland Gallery of Modern Art
- Mad Max Australian Movie Posters – Original or Reissue?
- Golden Years of Television Australian Daybill TV Series Movie Posters
- Australian Movie Poster Misprints and Errors – are they more valuable?
- Australian Movie Poster Collectors Profile: Vesna Babic
- Profile of a Movie Poster Collector: Rick Bayne
- Movie Poster Exhibition in Brisbane Extended by Popular Demand!
- PROFILES OF MOVIE POSTER COLLECTORS: Matthew Kerr
- PROFILE OF A MOVIE POSTER COLLECTOR: Brian Arnold
- THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS: Original or Reissue Daybill?
- Robert Burton Printers Movie poster artists
- Robert Burton Printers – Movie Posters
- Highest Priced Australian Movie Poster
- Ask Any Girl Daybill: Original of Reissue?
- Guns of Navarone Daybill: Original or Reissue?
- Creature with the Atom Brain Daybill: Original or Reissue?
- The Early Years: 1900 – 1941
- The Wartime Daybills: 1941-1945
BUTCH CASSIDY Daybill Movie Poster Original or Reissue
The Butch Cassidy Daybill with a reddish background and NRC censor details is one of the most commonly misrepresented Australian movie posters.
Experienced collectors will be aware that the original Butch Cassidy daybill has a yellowish background with the “Not Suitable for Children” censor details in the lower rh side of the poster.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was an incredibly popular and iconic film and many people, who would not normally collect movie posters, have purchased a poster for their favourite film believing that it is from the original release. Sadly, a large number of the posters that have sold on ebay have been for the version with the red background which is clearly a reissue from the 1970s.
Australian daybills are generally undated and it is sometimes difficult to determine the exact time of release. Censor ratings are a good clue but the average buyer will depend on the seller to describe the poster accurately.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was released in 1969 in Australia. The Not Suitable for Children is definitely the rating associated with the original release of the film. The ratings system changed in Australia in approximately 1971/2 and the NRC rating on the red background clearly indicates that the poster was released post 1972 – obviously for a re release of the film.
Unfortunately, ebay appears to take little interest in misrepresented posters. Collectors can report the listings but it is unlikely that any action will be taken. Sellers often hide behind the excuse that they are only part time or casual sellers and not experts but the end result is that those who purchase the Butch Cassidy daybill, described as original 1969 release, with the red background have been duped.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Director: George Roy Hill
Writer: William Goldman
Stars: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross